Monday, June 23, 2008

carto... what??

Argentina has given me the opportunity to reflex on many things. Recycling practices has been one of them. Not however, due of the lack of implementation of a serious and responsible policy, but because I have noticed how social and cultural environments are intrinsically related to the recycling practices.

Three different experiences illustrate this idea better:

1. Recycling, sadly not happening: My first dinner in Buenos Aires was obviously accompanied by a bottle of tasty Argentinean wine. My host, a guy from North America that has been living in Buenos Aires for almost two years, was kind enough to prepare a beautiful welcome dinner for me. After dinner, I was clearing the table. I turned to grab something and I saw him throwing away the organic residues and the empty wine bottle in the same garbage can. I was shocked, “ what are you doing” I said… I had forgotten I was in Argentina, and I had just watched a well-educated person from North America, not recycle. He replied “it’s a pity, but there is no recyclying in BA”.
I think it is very sad how we human beings almost always opt for the “easy way”. In this case, I guess it is easier to change recycling habits than to educate people about the importance of such practice…or maybe not…

2. Recycling does happen, but in a non-conventional way: The very next day after that dinner, I was walking home at night when I saw two kids, approximately ages 7 and 9, going through the garbage bags in front of each the houses in the upscale neighborhood I was staying at. The children were opening the bags to get all kinds of recyclable materials. Among which, I shamely admit, was probably the wine bottle my host and I had discarded the night before. Later I learned that what those children were doing is informal occupation called “cartoneros” (from the word “cartón” or cardboard). The occupation does not seem to respect child labour rules or basic sanitary conditions. After further research, I found that a law was issued in 2002 to create a mandatory registry for the so-called “Recyclable materials recoverers”, which is nothing more than a more politically correct term for cartonero… as if there were any politically, socially or environmentally correct word for such job.

3. “Cartonerismo” is not only a job, it is an entertainment: One day, I was walking in the city of La Plata, when I saw what I would call an “industrial carriage”! I am sure anybody that has visited South America, and perhaps any other country in the global south has seen this type of vehicle: a very rudimentary trailer pushed or “driven” by what was once a healthy horse or mule and today is just barely surviving. This one was being driven by cartonero kids and, of course, was full of recyclable materials to be sold. I was not unfamiliar with this unfortunate and “picturesque” scene, however what caught my attention this time, was that the kids were riding their carriage in a speed race against a luxury car!. And they won!! I believe those kids (again, children, not even young adults) did not realize that a huge percentage of the materials they had in their vehicle were discarded by people that can afford a luxurious car like that the one they were racing against. Nor did they realize that their occupation as cartoneros would probably never allow them to earn an income equivalent to one fifth the value of that car. More importantly, with that one fifth value they could probably get their basic needs covered for quite some time, and could therefore be in school or playing with real toys… but just like most kids, they were just having fun.

5 Comments:

At June 23, 2008 at 6:33 AM , Blogger kchion said...

wow the recycling situation sounds kinda like how it is in SKN (non-existent)..except, the creative do-it-yourself styles in argentina is waaaay more innovative!

 
At June 26, 2008 at 4:22 PM , Blogger megan kinch said...

"Among which, I shamely admit, was probably the wine bottle my host and I had discarded the night before."

Why do you shamefully admit? I mean, isn't it good for them that they can make some kind of money of your bottle, and maybe eat? child labour is obviously not good, but these kids would probably not be in school in any case.

I don't see why garbage picking as a proffesion is any worse of a system than garbage men: after all, garbage picking is equal opprotunity where as formal garbagemen are only healthy able bodied men. Isn't this one way of distributing wealth, a tiny bit, from rich people to really poor people?

 
At July 18, 2008 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Larissa said...

Muy interesante! I remember alot of talk about "saving" the garbage dump children. I am certainly not one to advocate the dangerous life of picking garbage however, when there aren't other options, you take what you can get.

 
At July 20, 2008 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Ali Mustafa said...

Hey Anna Maria, I know what you are talking about all too well. There exists the same kind of 'recycling system' here in Brazil too. I personally think its a travesty that there are people out there - some no older than 8 years old - who are living off of our refuse. I must disagree with Megan on this one: picking garbage as a means of survival is not the same as being a 'garbage man' who has a guaranteed minimum salary, union representation, and paid vacations. But then again, when we live in a world of such extreme economic injustice where those with enough money can throw away waste with reckless abandon because some poor street-kid simply looking for his next meal will be there to recycle or eat it, who needs 'garbage men'? Now that's efficiency! A very unsettling thought indeed.

 
At August 11, 2008 at 4:48 PM , Blogger megan kinch said...

i certainly agree that its better for the garbage man to have union representation and such...although we should recognize that a system like that locks out the very poor, for example in Candada you need high school to be a garbage man. I also agree that child labour is pretty frikken awfull. Maybe if thier parents had union jobs collecting garbage the kids could go to school or something.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home